All about color!

It was red and yellow and green and brown and scarlet and black and ochre and peach and ruby and olive and violet and fawn and lilac and gold and chocolate and mauve and cream and crimson and silver and rose and azure and lemon and russet and grey and purple and white and pink and orange and red and …

Recognize it? Of course – it’s from “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat” and one of my favourite musicals. I remember watching it for the first time and wishing I could also have a coat of many colors! I have always loved color – full on, in your face, wow that’s bright, colors. I normally dress in shades of blue and pink (like I said on previous blog) but I don’t just wear the pastels and I absolutely LOVE bright, hot pink!

When I was about 15 my then-boyfriend’s grandma died and I had to go to the funeral. This was the first one I went to and had a mad panic as I didn’t have anything black to wear – not a thing. This is when I realized that I am quite happy with color and rarely, if ever, wear black. Well, except for black pants (trousers for you brits) on those fat days or the occasional outing of my LBD when I want to look a bit more, ehem, sophisticated.

So it’s no wonder that my layouts are the same – full of color. I do find that I tend to use shades of blues and browns quite a bit, mainly because I do a lot of “boy” stuff and also these two colors together are quite neutral without being boring (if I had the time and money, my house would be decorated almost completely in shades of these two, for example). Occasionally I indulge my passion for pink but mainly in CJs or my BOM.

I do use more color on my layouts than I do on my clothes though – and I find that green and red and purple (my fave, by the way) and orange are used liberally throughout my pages. One color I really don’t like to wear is yellow: there is a well-known Spanish saying that more or less says that those who wear yellow have to make sure they are worth looking at, so I was never confident enough to wear it. I also don’t think it suits me, so I could say that is my least favourite. I don’t use it enough on layouts, either – perhaps it still makes me uncomfortable.

Color has also made me think one of those deep thoughts that I sometimes get: does everyone see color the same? I mean, I know blue is blue but how can I be sure that what I call blue is perhaps what you call red? How would you know otherwise, if you’ve never known any different? I would love to be able to “see” through others’ eyes and perhaps confirm or deny the theory! I sometimes find myself wondering what the world would look like to others if this was true: perhaps other see the sky in what I call pink and the sand in what I call blue and the grass in what I call red… how cool is that?

Color is a big part of my life and I like it that way. You can say I live my life in shades of red and yellow and green and brown and scarlet and black and ochre and peach and ruby and olive and violet and fawn and lilac and gold and chocolate…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copacabana: mystery solved

Milton Keynes street names

Running around Bancroft - photo blog